What Are The Treatment Options For Back And Spine Disorders?
Are you suffering from back and spine disorders? Would you like to get a permanent solution to your problems? Well, if that is the case, relax! Back and spine disorders can be caused due to a number of reasons. For instance, poor posture, infections, tumors, conditions like scoliosis, herniated discs among others are major contributors to such disorders. It is recommended that you visit your physician immediately you start experiencing back pain.
Treatment Options for Back and Spine Disorders
The treatment options for back and spine disorders that you choose will depend on your preference or the complexity of your condition. There are non-surgical and surgical treatment options. In most cases, patients suffering from spinal and back pain are treated using non-surgical means.
1. Physical therapy is one of the non-surgical methods of treating musculoskeletal system disorders. It involves evaluating the patient, diagnosing and treating the disorders. Physical modalities like heat, electricity, exercise, massage and cold are used.
2. Pain management that involves the application of science to reduce pain is also another non-surgical treatment option. If you don’t like drugs, then you can opt for alternative medicine that involves self-awareness, the use of herbal medication, acupuncture and much more.
3. Chiropractic care has received lots of attention for a while now, and it involves the manipulation of the soft tissues, spine, and joints by a chiropractor. Besides, it can involve exercise, lifestyle and health counseling.
4. If you don’t like drugs, then you can opt for alternative medicine that involves self-awareness, the use of herbal medication, acupuncture and much more.
Surgery is used to treat complex back and spine conditions caused by tumors, fractures, infections, instabilities and much more. Surgical treatment for back and spine conditions includes advanced procedures that involve stabilization using rods, pedicle screws or plates. Bone grafts, as well as titanium devices, are used in some cases. Some of the most common surgical procedures for treating spine and back conditions include:
– Spinal Fusion
This procedure is meant to connect two or more vertebrae and immobilize them till they have the opportunity to grow together. Metal screws are used to attach the vertebrae to rods or metal plates.
– Lumbar or cervical disc replacement
It involves the replacement of painful, damaged discs in the lumbar or cervical spine and replacing them with either plastic or metal implants.
This procedure involves the removal of the bony arches on the vertebrae to relieve pain caused by pressure on a nerve branching from the spinal cord or pressure on it.
Kyphoplasty is used to treat back and pain disorders caused by compression fractures of the spine. It involves the insertion of a balloon tamp to inflate and push the bones back to their normal position.